$640 - $1100/mo based on experience
Dec 15, 2021
We’re looking for a part-time or full-time Senior Editor to work with our remote team in editing novels and short stories -- someone who's enthusiastic, hard-working, highly organized and a problem-solver to work with our growing team of writers specializing in horror fiction. To keep up with the influx of material, we are looking for an editor who knows how to keep the scare factor high, remedy plot holes, improve characterization, ensure consistency throughout serialized novels along with editing typos, grammar, and sentence structure.
Scare Street is a horror publishing company based in Wyoming, U.S., dedicated to helping fellow horror lovers experience sleepless nights. We’ve been around since September 2015 and have published over 200+ e-book and paperback titles along with 150+ audiobooks (and counting!), with avid readers, writers, and editors from all over the
We’re a really fun, fast-moving company. We work hard, and we reward our staff well for doing a good job. We're pretty serious when we're working, but very silly the rest of the time.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Edit manuscripts and short stories to identify and suggest remedies to plot holes, characterization and consistency issues, typos, grammar, and sentence structure.
• Gauge the scare factor of a horror story and propose ideas to heighten it.
• Clearly communicate constructive criticism to writers in a manner that fosters long-term collaboration and work with them until all issues are closed.
• Coordinate manuscripts with writers, editors, and project lead
• Compile error-free manuscripts for product launches
• Evaluate and approve changes by writers and other editors
• Edit and deliver manuscripts in a timely manner while maintaining a high standard of quality
• Salary is negotiable depending on your experience.
• 30-40 hours per week
• The hours worked will depend on your capacity to complete the tasks error-free.
• Working hours are flexible as long as you maintain a high quality of work. Due to the various locations of our international tea
• Fluent or Native English speaker (written and verbal)
• Experience in editing fiction, particularly horror is a plus
• Proficient in Word and Excel in MS Office and Google Suite
• Willing to use Basecamp as a project management tool and Time Doctor for time tracking.
• High standard of ethics and confidentiality to handle sensitive information
• Highly organized and detail-oriented
• Quick learner, deadline-conscious, goal-oriented, and resourceful
• Fast and stable internet and electricity
• Individual applicants only, no agencies
• 3+ years of BPO experience and/or Virtual Assistant experience (a plus, but not required)
• Publishing experience (preferred but not required)
• Horror experience (preferred but not required)
Don't hesitate to apply because we will be interviewing immediately and hiring the right candidate within 2 weeks! Interested? Let’s get started. Fill out the Google form below: