$16,000 - $25,000
Oct 30, 2012
Insight Design & Communications Inc. is a Web Site Design, Development and Digital Marketing company based in Toronto, Ontario. We are actively searching for a full-time PHP/MySQL/jQuery web developer The ideal applicant must have at least 3 years experience programming and be ready to jump right into the code of existing projects.
• Up-to-date knowledge of current web technologies
• PHP or similar languages (with OOP experience)
• Experience with PHP frameworks (CodeIgniter, CakePHP, MVC, Yii, etc.), or frameworks in other languages
• MySQL (including knowledge of how to optimize, or avoid creating with little performance or functional cost, complex SQL queries)
• Experience with Wordpress Installation and customization and the ability to create themes and tweak blog/theme functionality.
• Experience working with and building e-commerce websites, Paypal, and integration of payment gateways (IE - Moneris)
• Knowledge of Apache HTTP Server experience a plus
• Basic Linux system administration skills (SSH, shell scripts, etc.)
• An easygoing, “can do” attitude and a good level of written English
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to write technical documentation, bug reports, communicate complex ideas
• Advanced to Expert understanding of Google Search, Webmaster Tools, Analytics, and other Google services
• Basic Foundation & Understanding of Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine marketing techniques
Our project workload changes all the time, but here are three typical kinds of projects that we do:
1. One of our clients is online shoe retailer. Their site has grown and expanded over a period of 3 years we have been working with them. During this time we have expanded their site from featuring only Shoes to now including other products such as bags, wallets and other gear. We have also expanded the site with customized page sections built and driven by a Wordpress blog - which continues to evolve with development of custom theme page layouts. Future plans for this project include: switching the clients merchant processing to a new provider, finalizing a mobile version of the website, Expanding the site with different country versions each featuring different stock quantities.
2. Another client of ours is a commercial real-estate agent who features properties in the downtown area that are available for lease and rent. The site is essentially a directory of available office space and will contain many custom filtering features allowing people to find available office space based on location, rent, size and more.
3. We also develop many Wordpress based sites which often require tweaks or customization to plugins based on our clients specific needs. One project in particular will involve setup of a site to display online instructional course videos. The site must include a membership management tool, online payment tracking and affiliate tracking.
4. We have created online survey applications, custom content management systems and Social media marketing applications (Facebook Apps).
Please email your resume and cover letter to Lowell Brown, CEO, Insight Design & Communications Inc. to email@example.com with the following information in the body of the email:
• Explain to us why you are the right person for the job - Why should we hire you over other applicants?
• Describe a complex L*MP project that you played in central role in developing.
• You have the opportunity to build a complex PHP application from scratch. Do you use a framework - and if so, which one? Briefly explain your choice, then give an example of additional information about the project that would change your decision.
For the last two, you're encouraged to be brief - we'll have the opportunity to discuss your answers in detail later!
If this position isn't right for you but you know someone who would be perfect for it, don't hesitate to pass this along to them. We appreciate it!
We will respond via email/phone ONLY to applicants we feel are a fit for this position. If you are selected for our short list we will arrange a personal interview with you and will ask you to perform a series of short tests to demonstrate your abilities.
We look forward to hearing form you and think you in advance for submitting your resume for review.