Joven’s New Life as a Filipino Virtual Assistant

Joven is like most Filipinos; defined by family. He is first and foremost a husband and father to his growing family.

What makes Joven different is that he’s able to provide well for his family without leaving the country or spending most of his time away from them.

Joven works from home. His life is different than most dads.

He has a full-time job working as a virtual assistant for an American client. He works on his own time and has a great salary. Since he works from home he’s the one who mainly takes care of his son; taking him to school and preparing his meals.

His wife has a regular job as a mall employee, so Joven also does most of the household chores. But despite all that he has time to go out with his friends and play badminton 2-3 times a week. He earns enough to send his son to private school and have an upper middle class lifestyle.

He gets to do all that and more, because of Onlinejobs.ph

The Truth About Filipino Employees

Joven's Family
We Filipinos consider family our top priority. Our world revolves around family, so it’s common for us to live with our parents even after we’re married, live close to our extended family, and consider our relatives as our best friends.

But often times, providing for our family means being away from them. Most Filipinos consider getting a job abroad as hitting the jackpot. But in exchange we spend years away from our family. We miss birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and other important life events just so the people we love are well provided for.

Yes, the booming BPO industry does provide an alternative. But in a way, it still detaches us from our families. We’re asleep when we’re most needed. We’re only there for them on the weekend or on our days off. And in time, the regular work shift takes a toll on our health.

This is actually a common phenomenon with Filipino call center workers. Philippines BPO companies have a turnover rate of 20% (as of 2015), one of the highest in Asia. And a significant percentage of  those who leave the BPO industry cite health problems like hypertension and diabetes brought about by fatigue and an unhealthy lifestyle.

Yes, we can find regular jobs, but at what cost? The 2 hour commutes to and from work wastes our time. While the cost of fare, food, and clothes takes up a huge chunk of our small salaries.

Working Less, Working Better, Getting Paid More

joven

With his American client, Joven actually found himself working less but still earning more. He only works 5 days a week and on his own time. Joven would do a wide variety of tasks for his client (SEO, writing, marketing) and as long as he delivered on time, his employer paid him well.

• He saves money because he doesn’t have to spend for fare, food or clothes to work.
  • He saves time because he doesn’t have to commute.
  • He’s not stressed because he has a steady paycheck and regular schedule.
  • He’s able to care and spend time for his family because he’s RIGHT THERE, whenever they need him.

In short, Joven is living the dream life, thanks to online jobs.

There’s a growing number of Filipinos who now have stories like Joven’s. Filipinos who couldn’t find regular work because of health or family issues; Filipinos who want something different from what society expects from workers, Filipinos who believe that it’s possible to have a great home life and career at the same time without sacrificing either one.

Thanks to outsourcing, we have Joven, a husband, father, and happy Filipino online worker.

You too can have a home-based job and a lifestyle like Joven. Sign up for a free Onlineojbs.ph jobseeker account to start your profile. And once you’re done, you can start applying for jobs.

Do you have a similar story? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

1. Maria Amelia C. Tabacon says

I am a working mother and provide for my kids on my own. I have a college student. I was inspired by Joven’s story and i am looking forward to do the same. Hoping to do amazing things with you soon…

• francis says

Yes. I am also a work from home employee and I found my employer here in Onlinejobs.ph

I will be glad to share my story as well. :-)

• says

You can apply for any of the jobs posted here or on our website by signing up for an Onlinejobs.ph jobseeker account. It’s completely free and takes only minutes to apply. Having a jobseeker account also gives you access to thousands of new online jobs daily.

To start the registration process, just follow this link ===> http://www.onlinejobs.ph/register

Once you’ve completed your profile, you can start searching for the job that you want here ===>http://www.onlinejobs.ph/jobseekers/jobsearch/

You can find a wide variety of jobs there, from data entry, design, writing, programming, and more!

The job posts would contain all the information you need to apply for that position.

• airene says

i already register. hope i can find my job fits on me. thank you bec. you have a site like this to help every one who need a part time or full time job at home. wish you luck…. and wish me luck too… hehehe

• celia says

Hi how can i apply the job that im into? Wht do i need to fill up? Pls help. I badly need xtra job at home. Tha ks.

• Renzo Cezanne V. Gulle says

Hi, as I was reading about your stories, I can’t help but”envy” you for such a wonderful job based at home. I was looking for a job since I left my NGO work awhile back due to lesser and lesser funds because donor priorities are now in other countries. I am new to this endeavor and I wanted to know if there are online training I can avail of to learn the nuances of online jobs? Can you help me? How does this online job work? Thank you so much for the help. God bless,,,

RCV Gulle

• melissa says

hi, i’m interested in an online job. I have extensive experience in finance and Investment. i wish to do online job or deliverables that is/are within my professional capabilities. I am in my early fifties, would my age matter?

• Aaron Errol says

I submitted an application earlier. Will I receive a message regarding my application? I also have another question. How can I increase my ID Proof?

• says

All applications are sent directly to the employer. So any updates regarding the jobs should be directed to them.

ID Proof is about providing lots of information to help determine your identity. If you only provide a small amount of honest information, then you’ll have a low ID trust score.

Make sure that you have everything filled out…..facebook url, government id, picture, skill descriptions, etc. The more information that you provide, the easier it is for an employer to determine that you are who you say you are. Your ID proof score will be higher too.

After updating your profile, the ID Proof score does not get updated right away, but will be automatically rechecked by the site in a day or so.

• lani artate says

i am inspired how joven manage his time in doing his job as a parent and as an virtual assistanct for american company,

how can i contact somebody like joven , so that i can invite them to work for my team as MLM COMPANY global company call first vita plus , salary is

• John Michael Cipriano says

I also want a part time job at home please help me find a suitable job for me, i am proficient in Ms Word, MS excell, with good communication skills.. Im looking forward to working like Joven did.. Thanks and more power

• says

You can find a wide variety of full-time, part-time and project-based jobs there, from data entry, design, writing, programming, and more!

2. Claire Lacsento says

I have been a writer for more than 3 years and my American client here in onlinejobs.ph is truly amazing! I’m a company nurse at the same time and at the clinic I get to do my online work. I can say that onlinejobs.ph has practically helped me and my family a lot. I’m a mom with 2 kids and I’m so happy to have this kind of job.

• Niel says

hi there , im newbie in this site , please take time time to tell me what job im fitting for , im a graphics designer

• Daphne Maranan says

Good day. The story of Joven inspired me and so I registered in your website and fill up the profile. May I ask, do I need a laptop for this or desktop? Can a Samsung tab S do the job? How about the internet connection as how many mbps needs?
            Waiting for your response. Thank you

HI Daphne.

Ideally you should have a laptop or desktop because in most cases, a tablet wouldn’t have the capabilities needed to do the job. as for the internet connection, we recommend that you have at least 1mbps.

• Nemuelyn says

I already created an account at onlinejobs.ph as a job seeker. I completely finished my profile. I began to apply for the jobs posted that suit to me especially if they offer a training for the said job. But unluckily I didn’t receive any feedback from them. I applied more two of the job posted but didn’t receive any reply from them. What should I do? I have already background as a Virtual Assistant because I took the course of it and undergone training already. Any help? any tips in order to get hired?

• Danilo says

Hello mam,
            Got interested on what I read here, mga kabayan po pala ang mga workers dito. Ang tanong ko po ay :
            1.May mga OFW (land base) na po ba ang mga nagtatrabaho dito sa onlinejobs.ph?
            2. Mga Filipino seaman po, may mga nakapagtrabaho dito sa inyo?

• says

1.May mga OFW (land base) na po ba ang mga nagtatrabaho dito sa onlinejobs.ph? – Yes, we know we have OFWs working but we’re not sure of the exact number
            2. Mga Filipino seaman po, may mga nakapagtrabaho dito sa inyo? – not that we know of
            3. Kung mayroon po, ano ang nagiging common arrangement nila kung nagtatrabaho sila ng part time? Filipinos abroad can work get full-time or partime jobs through onlinejobs.ph but they would have to agree to be paid in Philippine peso
            4. O.k. lang din ba magtanong sa inyo kung wala man sa Q & A ang mga ilan bagay pa? Yes. For more questions, please email our support staff (support@onlinejobs.ph)

3. Hart Madarang says

Are you in any way affiliated with MyOutDesk.com? This is the only company I know currently that is agresssive enough to hire Virtual Assistants. I want to know if you can offer me more options and reviews with regard to company profiles.
    Thanks.

4. Liticia Sabanal says

I am also looking for a job. I am a working moher also, last time I am working as Data Entry Operator to a small Company in the UK. So far, my project ended. As of now I want your help to find job.

5. Bing says

Hi! Am interested also with work from home. How can i start? I’m currently connected with top insurance company, but the income is not steady bec we are only based on comm….I want additional income….I hope you could help me start with this…

6. Adolfo M. Antalan, Jr. says

Since 2010, I have been trying to get a home-based online job but to no avail. Joven’s story is truly inspiring and I am looking forward to becoming as inspirational to others as he is in the soonest possible time. I am confident onlinejobs.ph can make the difference I have been longing for in my life

7. Grachelle Matibag says

Hi! I find this very interesting but I am not certain of what am I going to do since this is the first time I will try if you will consider me one of those applicant. I would like to try if its possible anyway. I was once working in an office but my daughter got sick s I have to stop working and need to stay at home to look for a job that doesn`t need much time away from home as what Joven live his life..I`ve heard this before but am not convinced. How can I start with this..

8. Herminigilda Agustin says

Hi! I have already my profile here and been hunting for online jobs but unluckily have not been hired yet. I spent my last money investing on a computer for an online job. I hope you can help me find one because there is also the problem of paying my internet connection monthly.

I thank you in Advance.

9. vangie says

Hi. It’s my first time here and hopeful I could find one that would fit my time. As I am currently working as a buyer and the salary I’m receiving is not enough to support my family, I would gladly work as a part-timer.

Thank you in advance.

10. maricor says

i am a full time mom and no experience in online jobs. but i want to learn and give it a try to be able to have extra income. i want to use my degree and skills to be more efficient and effective.

11. julie ann naag says

i am willing to be virtual assistant ,, working home and also being with family at the same time.. may the best work i will be proud of..

12. Jesamy Ilagan says

I’ve been looking and applying for job posts that fits my skills for weeks but I still don’t receive any reply on my inbox. I really need to have a job immediately that’s why I registered here in Onlinejobs, hoping that I will have a job as soon as possible. Please make a way for the employers to contact or connect with us easily. I’m already to lose hope in this site.

13. Chad Calangi says

I am Currently looking for a Job because my Previous job is now Gone because of The Employee deduction. Please Give Me a Work…Sir/Madam bcoz I need an Income for The Tuition of my Family Members, not on anything else! I Have No Job right now..

14. Ma. Corita Parilla says

Im a housewife with two kids, married and with no experienced. Undergraduate college bsba marketing at U.E. Manila. I want to have a job to support our financial needs. Multi talented but not professionally.

15. MA. JOYCE ISABEL G HERRERA says

I AM VERY INTERESTED. I AM IN DIRE NEED OF A JOB THAT WOULD MAKE A DECENT LIVING FOR ME AND MY KIDS

16. orland francis says

hi

im francis,currently i am working as a civil inspector,i am now looking at an option where i could get a work abroad but i will be away from my family so i am still thinking hard on that option.the second is a part time job,,,maybe an online job where i could work after my working hours..i wish you coud help

17. Ethany Faye E.Martinez says

i always wanted to have an.online job butbthe problem was i can.tell.which site i can trust. Thank.God my teacher mention Onlinejob.ph. i have nowan account and can’t wait to start working.

18. Jenny says

I’ve been a member for almost 5 years in Onlinejobs.ph and yes been working 5 yrs also as a VA! Now that I’m here in the US it gives me more luck because the company I’ve been working since I was in the Philippines now they hire me as a US employee woohhooo!!!. And it’s awesome! What else can I ask. Thanks so much for the great opportunity Onlinejobs.ph!!! :))

19. lily totanes says

I have just finished my contract as an OFW in Papua New Guinea. I am now trying my luck in online job hunting. Joven’s story is truly inspiring. Hope I can get a job through this site very soon.

• says

We’re glad you’re inspired by Joven’s story. That’s what we hope to achieve; to show Filipinos that there’s another option out there that let’s them support their families without leaving the Philippines.

Good luck on your job hunt Lily !

20. Rumina horca says

Hello,,i am looking for a home based job,,i’ve worked in canada for 3 yrs then when i got back,,i didn’t realize how hard to work in the philippines,,plus i am working 6 dyas a week,,i have a kid,,i’m looking for a home based job so i can be with my kid often,,i would be more happy if you could help me find a home based job,thank you so much!

21. Dan says

Much like a lot of other job hunters, I didn’t really think the whole ‘work online’ thing was a legitimate option. There are so many scams and phonies that litter the web that it has become near impossible to find real, honest opportunities. I gave OnlineJobs a shot anyway and found 3 employers that fit my schedule perfectly. Today, I make up to $280 USD a week and make more than just a living. Some people would have to wait years before they see the same salary. What’s more, it’s all done from the comfort of my home. No need to elbow my way through throngs of people or struggle with the physical demands of working a 9 to 5. Now, I’m on the verge of creating my own online service and I’m hoping to turn the tables with me at the employers end. Thanks for the great career opportunities!

22. Marc Medina says

Hi support and admin..,i like joven’s…so far so good…i started sometime january and i got replies from employers and in fact it had become beneficial already without even being an employee yet so good job guys

23. Jeralyn says

Hi, I really wanted to have a job because I’m unemployed right now and since I have internet connection I searched an online job in case I could have a part time job and I never failed and I saw this website. It will really a great help to those whose in need a job like me because my family are really in need of financial matters, I hope this will help me to sustain the needs of my family. My father is a farmer and my mother had small sari-sari store but it isn’t enough to pay our needs because the farm that is working for my father was experienced failure since last three harvesting time
    Hoping this to help me to find a job. Thank you!

24. Aya says

I’m a young professional, and sometimes I got a lot of free time on my hands. I’ve decided accept little tasks as a freelance writer around here in Online Jobs. The pay’s not that high but still, I get to earn even in my free time. Most of the employers I’ve met are yet starting or managing small businesses, so in some way I am happy to help.

25. aspinaut says

hi there, ma’am. I have always wanted to work online for both experience and the income. But the closest I got was a paid writing platform which closed shop recently. Then nothing after that. I signed up here a couple of days I go and here’s me hoping that it will also work for me.

I’m glad with with the success stories here and that’s thanks to you guys.
    God bless you.

26. Glenn R. Dy says

Hi, question… how many hours should I work here as full time or part time? is that depends on the agreement with the client? or I will sent my own schedule for each day?

God Bless…

27. Sarah says

Joven’s story is truly an inspiration. On my part, I am a newbie on virtual working industry when I tried to register here in onlinejob. It was just a matter of giving it a try by completing the registration process during my break time. And alas, in 2 hours I got an employer. Now, I have two employers by being a freelance/parttime writer. Thank you onlinejob for giving me this privilege for professional growth in a virtual environment.

28. LESLIE CANONIGO BARREDO says

Hi, I would like to ask for help if possible. Been trying to register and apply for a part time job but having hard time registering. Hope you could help me. I don’t have any experience as virtual assistant but willing to study and learn how.

Thanks a lot & God bless everyone.

29. Mark Eduard Mejia says

I am a Project cost & Inventory Analyst of a Real Estate company. The loads are heavy in my job I once tried this one two years ago but had no luck. I’m trying it again. I’m hoping for not just luck but a blessing.

30. CME says

What skills should I have as a Virtual Assistant? I only know basic word excel and powerpoint. And I can type 60wpm, What type of virtual assistant would fit me? Thanks.

31. Elaine Lat says

I don’t have any professional background experience in online jobs. I have a manufacturing background and my last contract ended February in 2007. All this time, I’ve earned from doing simple tasks and simple writing in paid forums and writing websites but I barely made enough. I have a profile and took tests but now I’m worried that nobody would want a beginner.

32. Julie says

Hi Onlinejobs.com Team,

Thank you for this wonderful chance you’ve given to me, I got a new job through your website.. I hope you will continue helping more skilled Filipinos to find a job..

God bless!

Julie

33. Julie Ann Zapatero says

Hi good evening, I just wanted to ask because I already applied for a job on the website, How many days before they reply and is it on my skype account or on my account i created on this website?
    Thank you so much!

Hi Julie!

That would depend in the job you are applying for. But most employers would send emails within 2 weeks if you’re shortlisted or hired. If you don’t hear anything from them on over 2 weeks, it would be a safe bet to start looking for other open positions.

• Jerom Dioso says

If you need get hired, you can try shopify virtual assisstant, almost of the clients provide a training with great salary. You can use youtube to gather some information about this kind of job. I am very lucky to have my client from Puerto Rico, he is really down to earth.

34. Krish says

I recently gave up an office job for some reason that needed me to stay home. It’s been almost a month since I updated my onlinejob account, took some tests and sent out applications to employers but until now, none of them contacted me. I don’t know if I am doing it right but I would appreciate any advice or tips from you guys. The only reason I see is that, I still don’t have any experience doing online job. Thank you so much in advance.

• Krish says

Thank you, Julia. I have read the link. I appreciate the help. I am looking forward to get a job soon.

• Jerom Dioso says

Hi Krish

The best thing to do is you must try to study some of the job post by the employers, If you already have an idea about it then try to apply, most of them will provide a proper training with salary, depends to your client.

I work as OFW in Taiwan for 3 years, I just came home this May 2016, my friends introduce this kind of job, since I have my own Laptop and internet I try to study some of those task posted in this site. After 3 weeks of waiting finally a client hired me, and now I am currently managing his online store. I decided not to go back in abroad again since me and my wife already have clients. :)

35. lester says

hi : i’m already applied for a job on the website how many days before they reply and iy is on my email or skype account or on my account i created on this website sir/madam?

thank you!

36. Psalms Remojo says

I am so much inspired with Kuya Joven’s story! I am a 4th year Journalism college student and I tried applying because most of the people around me is saying the 4th year in college is where you’ll spend more. Aside from that, helping my family is one of the biggest influences why I want a job. That is why I tried applying with the jobs I know my skills can handle and disregard those skills that I might not comply. Now, in just 2 days, after applying for almost 10 jobs, an employer is about to schedule an interview for me tomorrow, and I can’t wait for the results. *cross fingers* Kudos, OnlineJobs.ph!

37. Lyn says

Hi,

I’m so much inspired of Joven’s story. I’am an OFW and planning to be back home to Philippines soon with my family. I just want to ask if I can apply even im not in the Philippines. I’m currently here in Dubai and im trying to search for an online job since I don’t have much work to do so I try to register in this site and hope I can be hire. Atleast before going to Philippines for good I still have an extra income by doing online job.Hope I can get a good one and say bye to Dubai :)

38. jakie geraldo astilla says

just got hired last night. the application process was faster than i expected and to think that i just created my profile here 5 days ago.i hope this goes well. wish me luck!

39. Elvie Joy Napata says

Hi! Thank you onlinejobs.ph for helping me living my dream life. I get hired to an Australian employer which I meet here. It’s been one year and 8 months since I work for him. I am so happy that from onlinejobs.ph I have able to buy my own car and jeep.Feel free to visit my page http://www.joynapata.com for your writing tips… Life is a dream- Realize it by travelling.Through onlinejobs.ph you can earn money from home and travel places without blowing off too much money.

40. Jonaide says

I was inspire with his story.
    I wanted to work online as well. I’m a mother , I want to take care of my kid at the same time provide for her.
    I already have a registration on this site.
    I hope I can find an online job as soon as possible

41. Nathanael says

I hope and pray that I don’t have to work for abroad but instead just work here near my family. Thank you in advance onlinejobs.ph… though I just started now.

42. Julie Francisco says

Dear Onlinejobs,

It’s a very wonderful experience when I started to be a part of onlinejobs.ph. As of now I got two employers. I hope and I pray that I will stay long in this outsourcing site. Until now there are some offers coming in. It helps me a lot. Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.

For those who are eager to have a job from this site, please be patient and be comfortable in anything you do.

To the onlinejobs.ph team, thank you very much again.

Sincerely yours,

Julie Francisco

43. Jennelyn Firmalino says

Joven’s story is really inspiring, and I am hoping to be able to do the same thing. I’ve been out of work for a year now, because I tried to be home and be with my family instead of working. However, the financial obligation of the family grows higher every day, and I have to do the move now. Since we have stable internet connection and I can definitely place a work station inside the house, I would like to try a home based job. I sent application to some employers, and had taken the exams, well, luckily I passed them all, but I haven’t received any invites yet. Can you help me with my profile? how to upgrade it? what are the things that I still need to indicate?

44. Gilbert Talaman Silva says

Hello Onlinejobs,

Joven’s story is so inspiring. Also, thank you for making this awesome outsourcing site. It helps me a lot as the oldest son and a breadwinner of our family. I’m almost two 2 years working at home and I’d already been to several companies in different fields (Graphic Design, Web Development and E-commerce). Work-life-study balance is what keeps me stay active and deliver productive results while having quality time to my family.

Job well done Onlinejobs.ph for helping our fellow Filipino VA’s.
    Keep it up!

45. JuzelleAnne says

As i was searching for a part time job, i accidentally click this website. I was so eager to find job that will help me in my finances cuz my salary in my current job was not enough to help my family.
    By reading some comments i was motivated to give this a try..Hope i can find job that will fit to my sched. and i just need to work on my own.

46. jana says

I was inspired by Joven’s story and it makes me feel more motivated in applying for online work.
    I was a full time-working mom for & 2 years but now, I have finally decided to be a full time hands on mom with my daughter while having an online work. I hope that I will be qualified for the jobs I have applied for.

47. Kenneth says

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity you gave us here. Right now I’m working in a private company, i am so eager to find jobs through online and work at home because I need to take care of my grandmother at home and to support my parents. I hope sooner i’ll found an employer who can give me a job that fits on my specialties.

48. Nadja says

This is an inspiring story! I just created an account here. I am a student and I really want to put my extra time in something productive. I hope I could land a job soon. *crossed fingers*

49. varsha says

Hello, I am a freelancer that may you are looking for.I am a reliable, efficient, dedicated, and enthusiastic person.i have experience in data entry, excel, MS office, MS word, PSD to HTML, create a new PSD image, watermark image. i have experience in product listing such as a ebay, amazon and saats commerce. I have Strong Computer knowledge, skills and experience.I have experience in this type of job.give me chance to doing this job.I will doing my work best.

I’m working with you for long term relation. i have experience in ebay and amazon add product listing.