How To Get Your Dream Job In 6 Steps

Ever since I started working online people have been telling me how lucky I am. And I am lucky. I have a job that pays well, let’s me work at home at my own pace. Working online for the past 8 years has allowed me to gain a ton of skills that brought me personal and professional recognition.

So when people find out that I do work online, they almost always ask how I got my dream job. And when I give them my answer, some of them are disappointed by it. I think it’s because they were hoping I would say that it was easy, that the job was just given to me, and I can help them get that same job just as easily.

But to be honest, finding that dream job online wasn’t that easy. I admit it was easier back then when I first started. There was less competition and the rewards were greater. But with more people all over the world looking for work online, I can see that IT IS tougher to find that dream online job now than it was before.

That’s why as Filipino workers, we need to raise our game if we want to continue to be more competitive. Anyone with a computer, internet connection and rudimentary knowledge of the English language can do data entry. Really good transcription software is cheaper and can work just as well as a human transcriptionist. A really good smartphone can do simple image editing.

So what can we do, as Filipino workers, to cement our claim as online rockstars? Here are some of the things we need to do today!

1. Take advantage of what you know and make it better.

One of the questions people often ask me when it comes to online work is “What can I do online?”. If you want to find your dream job, this isn’t the right question to ask. Mainly because there’s so many different jobs out there it’s impossible to say outright what anyone can do online.

Another reason is because if you want to succeed as an online worker, you have to know what you’re doing & like what you do.

The thing about online work, unlike traditional careers, is it’s not about the job title. It’s about your skills and your professionalism. That’s why I often recommend that people start with what they already have. What are your interests? What skills do you currently have and would like to improve on?

When you’re naturally interested in what you are doing, it’s easier to be better at that job. The better you are, the better the job offers, the higher the salary.

wrried va vrsion

Think of it this way. Let’s say you want to be a programmer simply because it pays more but you’re not really into it. So you force yourself to do a job you have no interest in doing. In the long run you will get bored and you’ll start hating your job. If you’re not really interested, you won’t have any motivation to improve. Most likely you’ll end up as a mediocre programmer at best. You won’t get paid as much or get as much work as a programmer who actually likes what they’re doing and goes out of their way to be the best.

So the first step of finding that dream job is to figure out what you like to do. It’s easier to learn the skills you need when you’re doing something you’re naturally interested in. Potential employers will see your interest. And they do prefer applicants who like what they do because they know you’ll show the same enthusiasm once they are offered that job.

1. Show your personality by making your applications personal.

The scary thing about applying for online jobs as a newbie is you know you’re competing with workers who have more skills and experience. Sending a form or template applications would make things easier but it’s also the fastest way to have your application ignored. You’re not going to stand out of your application is going to look like everybody else’s.

From our experience here at we have seen a lot of employers sometimes choose newbies over ‘experienced’ workers because they have made their applications PERSONAL.

How do you make a job application personal?

1. Read the job post carefully and thoroughly,
  2. Follow the instructions listed there (if any) to the best of your ability,
  3. Do your research. Learn more about the business and what the job might entail,
  4. Put all of this in a custom cover letter that explains why your experience and your personality make you the ideal candidate.

I know from experience that this has DEFINITELY helped me land one of my first jobs. When I first started applying for online writing jobs was intimidated because I knew I wasn’t a professional writer. I’m not native English speaker and I can’t write like one. But when I sent out applications I would often include a cover letter. In that letter, I would explain why I believed I would be a good fit for the job.

One of the first jobs I applied for was to write a series of articles on how to make hotels more family friendly. When I read that job post, I included in my cover letter that I would have more insight on the topic because I’m a mom. I understood how stressful it can be when you bring your kids to a hotel for some R&R. I can write from experience what hotel amenities I would like to see to make my stay more pleasant.

I got the job.

My employer chose me over other writers who were native English speakers. He said that the reason he chose me was because he saw that I understood what he needed. I worked for him for almost a year and he even recommended me for other writing jobs. We’ve been friends ever since.

1. Fill out a complete profile.

You wouldn’t let a stranger in your home. No one would. Who knows what that stranger would do? At best, they’ll do nothing. Or worse, they could steal from you.

It’s the same for business owners. Hiring a new employer is a scary process for them. It’s like handing over your house keys to a stranger. So you can’t blame them if they pass over jobseeker profiles that contain barely any information on the application. Because how can you trust someone if you don’t know anything about them.

So if you want prospective employers to trust you, give them all the information they need to make good hiring decisions.

• Upload a good photo so they’ll know there’s a real person behind the resume.
  • Upload a good government ID to prove that you are one of the rockstar Filipino workers they’ve heard about.
  • Don’t just list down your skills, show them! If you’re an expert in a skill, say, WordPress, then prove it. Share when did you learn how to do WordPress and what did you do to hone those skills? Do you have examples of your work? If you can’t produce the proof, you really can’t blame an employer for not taking your word for it.
  1. Make your public social media profiles/posts more professional.

If you have public social media posts or profiles, don’t be surprised if prospective employers would want to check it out.

Why would they do that? It’s now standard hiring practice to check an applicant’s social media profile to confirm their identity. And since employers will be checking out your social media, why not use it to your advantage?

Make sure that your information on social media is consistent with your profile. This is especially important if you have a common name. You wouldn’t want to be passed over for a job simply because you were mistaken for your namesake on social media.

Another thing you can do is to use social media to showcase skills or work experience that’s not on your jobseeker profile. Use social media to confirm what’s on your resume. Show off your work, trainings you have attended, professional groups you are a part of, etc.

1. Rate yourself honestly.

It’s easy to under-rate your skills especially if you’re just starting out. And it’s perfectly understandable. That’s why it’s important that you leverage on your current skills, knowledge and interest (see #1). That way you don’t enter the jobs marketplace as a complete newbie. You can be confident and fair when it comes to judging your own skills.

BUT, it’s also just as important not to overrate yourself. When you overrate you’re basically lying. And once you get caught it’s just going to bring you a world of trouble. It’s so easy for disgruntled employers to share their experience of applicants who lie on the profile with other business owners online. We’ve seen so many workers have their reputations destroyed because of this. Most of them had a tough time finding jobs all because of a simple lie.

What’s worse is it gives employers the impression that Filipino workers, in general, lie on their profile. This problem affects ALL of us. So just be honest in your skill ratings. Let’s show the world that honesty is a trait shared by rockstar Filipino workers.

1. Apply for jobs you ARE qualified for.

Employers are inundated with job applications everyday. Most of them just end up in the spam folder because prospective employers do know what they’re looking for. They automatically ignore applicants who don’t really fit the bill.

VA registering in OJ

So it’s better to just apply for jobs you know that fits your skills. Yes, this would mean you’ll be applying to fewer jobs. But it also means that you’re more likely to stand out from crowd because you’re actually qualified for the job.

Another advantage is that even if you don’t get the job, you’re more likely to be remembered or shortlisted for future openings. Hiring managers keep records of ALL qualified applicants, especially if they have plans to hire again in the future.

But I still don’t have an online job!

Now, let’s say you’ve done all the things mentioned above and you still haven’t found your dream job. You’ve been applying for x number of jobs for y number of weeks and you’ve had zero responses. What can you do? What did you do wrong? Why aren’t you getting that dream job that everybody else seems to have?

Honest answer? You just have to be patient. Like I said, the jobs marketplace is more competitive that it used to. Employers now have options from all over the world. And the hiring process does take time.

So if you do get a rejection, don’t burn bridges. Leave a good impression instead. A gracious follow-up email to a rejection would do just the trick. This allows you to maintain a relationship with the business so they’re more likely to remember you when a job does open up in the future. A good impression could also open other opportunities because if they like you they recommend you to other businesses.

I hope these tips can help bring you closer to you dream job. To Filipino online workers already living the dream, what do you have other tips you want to add to the list? Let me know in the comments below!

1. HSANTOS says

Hi there.

Is it necessary to include my resume on the message field when hitting the apply button? Or just simple providing context on why you are best fit for the position is enough? I have submitted several applications but did not attach my resume (though my profile link was included) and haven’t receive any response yet.
    Your thoughts is very much appreciated.

• HSANTOS says

I really appreciate your response. Just a follow up question. Do we normally get response or feedback if they already hired someone. Or how long can we do a follow up, after you initially send the application. Thanks again.

• Jester says

Most of the time they don’t give a feedback whenever they already hired someone else. Re: follow up, I usually do follow ups 2-3 days after sending the application.

• Rez Zoilo says

well said maam.we’re on the same bus for nearly 5 years now and i appreciate people who post informative topic to help others..keeep it uuppp!!!

• says

Applying here in is the same as applying a job in real life. Make sure your profile/application is attractive enough to convince employers to contact and hire you.

You can apply for any of the jobs posted here or on our website by signing up for an jobseeker account. It’s completely free and takes only minutes to apply. Having a jobseeker account also gives you access to thousands of new online jobs daily.

To start the registration process, just follow this link ===>

Once you’ve completed your profile, you can start searching for the job that you want here ===>

You can find a wide variety of full-time, part-time and project-based jobs there, from data entry, design, writing, programming, and more!

The job posts would contain all the information you need to apply for that position.

2. jeanjanen jayme says

To the one who posted it here, I thank you very much. This is exactly what is happening in my status as applicant right now. And as a matter of fact, I am on the point that there is no hope to get a job anymore but something popped in and I clicked it and then I was routed to this page. Thank you for your motivational words, it helped me a lot. I will remember all of these, be more patient, rejection doesn’t always means not but instead it’s not right now and most of all, it encourages me not to give up.

3. Rhon says

I believe this is really helpful. And also added me a knowledge regarding on my social media account. Showing your skills through social media or uploading a piece of it on the resume is really a plus. I would do that then. Regarding on effective cover letter, yes, it’s very necessary to read carefully what does a client required for. I have a response from a client saying they choose me because i meet what they required for. Clients wants a specific answer to their questions and not a respond stating a general thing. Well, thank you for sharing this. It’s a big help specially for those newbies.

4. Junrey Dini-ay Taer says

These tips are somewhat helpful, but applicants may also depend on the number of people applying for the same job and the number of employers who wish to hire you. I am here in a year, but still looking for a stability. I made a big impact on my profile of how or what my capabilities are. I am just wondering why do employers do not send a response to your email after you applied for a certain job.

5. Kristy Anne Solis Gabison says

Good evening… It is okay if I will send my application letter without resume? I applied for several times but still no response. They didn’t require in job description about resume when I applied to certain company

6. Charles Vincent Q. Rada says

I really need a job, I hope you have some to offer.

Thank you.

You can reach me:

Skype: live:radacharles

7. Cheska Persia says

What is usually or commonly includes in the (Subject) when sending the application message?
    Thanks in advanced. :)

8. Ghen Santos says

Good day!
    I am new here, and is in the process of submitting job applications, my question lies with the use of a Dropbox to send attachments like sample works being asked at times by employers for you to qualify at certain jobs they require, is the use of such app absolutely free or only on a certain trial period for months upon registration? I hope I get a response from this. Kindly respect my query, thanks!

9. Jinky Nucos says

Hi there,
    I’ve been waiting for so long to be hired but until now I don’t received any calls or emails.I don’t know if something is wrong with my resume or what..

Response is highly appreciated….thank you

10. Carrie Cabaltera says

Guys this really works. I followed these and started getting responses. thank you to the writer this really helped me a lot!

11. Ricky says

Thanks for writing this article for us newbies. I will keep in mind your tips.
    I am new to, so I am curious as to how much information I can give out to the employer whenever I apply for a job post.
    I learned that there are platforms that prohibit job seekers from posting links to their portfolio websites that has all their contact info listed. This is to prevent the possibility of them communicating with the employer outside of the said platforms.
    I want to be sure that I am not violating any policy here. Is there any such prohibition at Should all communications between me and the employer be done on this platform alone? Although, I really wouldn’t mind if there is such policy but I am curious to know.

Thanks in advance.

• says

Hi Felix!

Communicating outside the platform is allowed because the hiring is done directly. We just discourage it in the early parts of the recruitment process for security reasons; to make sure that the employers are making legitimate job offers and the applicants are real job seekers and not robots or spammers.

12. Paulo James Repolido says

I am really glad I read this article, thanks a lot, i hope this tips is getting me hired…
    God bless Ma’am and more blessings to come.

13. Zoraida Feguiroa says

Hi there!

I have been applying for several job postings. I am just wondering, where does the client post a reply, is it in my account or to my given email address?
    Also, where can we review the background of the employer?

14. Ruffa Legal Monteros says

“And I know that rejections are hard to take. But remember that a rejection doesn’t always mean “no”. Most of the time, it simply means “not right now”.”

These are the words I need today. It gave me hope. I was moved. Thank you so much. I will never lose hope. Will continue to be patient. I will apply these tips. I am very thankful. :-)

15. Noel Morado says

Great article. I learned a lot from the tips you mentioned. Hopefully, a lot of newbies would be able to find valuable lessons from your article. I myself have followed most of the tips you discussed. Right now, I’m undergoing training for a job I love most. I haven’t applied for it, but the client just sent an email asking me if I were interested to fill up their vacancy. When I asked how he was able to find me, he informed me that he saw my resume in our database and thinks that I am the perfect fit for the position… Thanks for this article as it helped me revise my resume to highlight my skills and experience.

16. Melvin Abanto Jr says

Thanks for this. A lot of substance in your work and it was very well laid out.
    I just started here in and I’m hopeful in landing my first gig. I’m currently employed as a full-time business consultant and would like to add Professional Virtual Assistant to my repertoire.